The Alabaster Jar

Rejoice with me!

I'm sitting here this morning, with tears streaming down my cheeks. This is very unusual for me because I don't cry. It's not because I don't want to. Oh, I so desperately want to! I wish God would open the flood gates and let the tears flow! But, for some reason, I can't! I can cry over the joy of a baby, (my grandchild) a stupid commercial or some sappy movie (although, those are getting harder and harder to find) and definitely, I cry at weddings--all weddings! Just know that when the real tears don't, won't or can't flow because the hurt and pain is so deep, our souls cry! And, our God sees!

[When this was first written] In this week's Beth Moore study, The Patriarchs, Beth ended the session by re-visiting the scripture where Mary washed the Lord's feet with her tears, and annointed them with the perfume from an alabaster jar (Luke 7:36-38!)

The perfume in this jar was very costly--perhaps a year's wages in those days. Men were judging and accusing her, because they were only concerned with the cost of the perfume--not with the cost of the pain and brokenness of the woman's heart! Now, I'm not just "bashing" the male gender! These men could represent anyone around you---family, friends, the world!

Oh, be sure, the woman in this biblical story heard the mumbling against her! Don't think it for a moment it was lost on her! But, trust me, as she wept before the Lord those overheard comments, those haughty looks didn't even faze her, and they certainly weren't going to deter her! This woman was at the point of desperation! She only had eyes and a heart for Jesus! " Jehoshua--Jehovah Saves!

You see, like Beth pointed out from the song by Ce Ce Wyans, only this woman and Jesus knew the real cost for her coming there that day--the pain and shame behind those tears! Oh, it wasn't the perfume that was costly, it was her pain!

Think about what sin costs us: Separation from God, and, oh, always from society, maybe even from the ones we love! Sin is not something most of us do openly. No, because of its shame, we do it in the dark, or in secret, hidden places so people won't see or know! Sin always brings loneliness, and when sin is complete, sin brings death!

Mary knew Jesus understood the cost her shame. Others were ready to condemn, Jesus was ready to love, forgive, rebuild and restore! What a Savior! I imagine that woman left that room changed--in a way those men who scoffed at her would never understand! For the first time in such a long time, she rose, stood straight up, held up her head, (Oh, beloved, He is the Lifter of our heads (Psalms 3:3!) and probably for the first time in such a long, long time, this woman was able to look others straight in the eye! While it is true that she walked out into the same old world, she walked out as a new creation! She was a child of the King! Royalty!

Do you think the people saw it? No, they probably thought to themselves, "Who does she think she is? Why she's nothing but a whore!" We don't know, but, perhaps they always looked at her in that same old way. I can assure you, she never was a "whore" again! How do I know, I am that woman!

This morning, I remembered the cost! Jesus met me there again and He lifted my head! I pray that all of you will go back and remember the place where Jesus found you! Wash His dear feet, yes, again--even if your tears are soul tears! Thank Him for seeing what no one else sees--your heart! He thinks you are precious! You are the apple of His eye and so am I! Let's keep reminding ourselves of this great truth!

Oh, and as Beth reminded us, one day Jesus will present us with a new name, a new identity (Revelation 2:17!) The meaning behind this new name will not be known or understood by anyone else, just you and Jesus! Beth believes it's because only you and Jesus will know the full cost behind the name! So, when you look at those around you, those still wounded in a lost world, and your own brothers and sisters in Christ, think of their cost! You heart toward them will be changed!

Yes, remember the cost, and worship!

No comments: